Forecast is excited to begin collaborations with muralist Greta McLain and silkscreen artist Drew Peterson to engage students at Sheridan Arts Magnet in creating a large, community-driven mural on the exterior of the school.
The mural-making process will include workshops and programming to teach students and participants paint and screen-printing techniques, as well as create connections and broaden the relationship between Sheridan School and their surrounding Northeast neighborhood arts community. The mural will be created using the indirect parachute cloth method–a unique method of painting a mural onto polytab fabric which is installed permanently and offers a longer life than a traditional mural.
Project goals include:
- teaching students high-quality painting, mural-making and screen-printing techniques
- enhancing visibility of Sheridan School arts programming
- strengthening connections between Sheridan School, their surrounding communities and Forecast
- seeding cross-artistic medium collaborations to innovate community mural making
- creating a colorful landmark that visually welcomes people to the Northeast Arts District
The final mural installation and celebration will take place next summer 2018.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.