Stories about public art projects shared at the Americans for the Arts’ Public Art Network Preconference in June inspired this hour-long DIY mini-film fest for Public Art Review.
Many of the projects listed below were selected for the Public Art Year in Review , an annual event recognizing the best in public art; others are from various sessions including the late night traditional Five in Five Presentations. These represent a fraction of the hundred-plus projects discussed at the Preconference.
Enjoy the videos—and the art.
1. Stony Island Arts Bank by Theaster Gates & The Rebuild Foundation
- Learn more about the Stony Island Arts Bank  (6:18)
- Learn more about Theaster Gates – Watch his 2015 TED Talk  (16:52)
2. INsite by Luftwork (artists Petra Bachmaier and Sean Gallero) temporary public art at the Farnsworth House
3. Magic Carpet by Candy Coated, Philadelphia Museum of Art
4. Resident of NY by Andres Serrano
- Hear Andres Serrano describe his project  (1:41)
5. New York Minute by artist Gabriel Barcia-Colombo
- A picture is worth a thousand words … (1:53)
6. Congregation by Kit Monkman
- Watch an interview with Kit Monkman  (4:44)
7. Funktional Vibrations by Xenobia Bailey
- An MTA guided tour of the project  (1:56)
- Meet Fiber artist and Cultural activist Xenobia here  (2:56)
- The aesthetic of funk  (1:00)
8. Oregon State Hospital Memorial to Unclaimed Cremains by Lead Pencil Studio (artists Annie Han and Daniel Mihalyo)
- Annie Han talks about the inspiration for the project  in the Statesman Journal (1:31)
- Go to minute 24:56 to hear both the artists talk about the project at the dedication 
9. The Traveling Museum by the Rural Aesthetic Initiative (artists Lisa Bergh and Andrew Nordin)
- See the Traveling Museum Feature  on Pioneer Public Television (6:52)
10. Keep the L in Public with Renee Piechocki
- A campy tribute to the work of public arts administrators everywhere  by artist, public art consultant, and Director of the Pittsburgh Office of Public Art, Renee Piechocki (NSFW) (1:00)
Image: Creative Commons License .