Request for qualifications due May 6, 2022
Parkway Residences has contracted Forecast Public Art to facilitate a call for an artist/team to design and create a public artwork in an exterior entrance walkway area outside of the newly developed Parkway Residences in St. Louis Park. Artists are invited to submit a letter of interest and samples of past work to be considered to participate in the design proposal phase. Up to three semi-finalists will receive a stipend to present a design concept to the selection committee. One artist or team will be contracted to refine, create and install their design concept.
About Parkway Residences & The Site
The project site is located on the west side of the City of St. Louis Park in Ward 1. The site is situated with Minnetonka Boulevard to the north, Highway 100 to the west, and Bde Mka Ska to the east.
Parkway Residences spans a complex of seven buildings, consisting of four new multi-family buildings and the renovation of three existing multifamily buildings in the Triangle neighborhood. Over the last decade, the area surrounding Parkway Residences has become a hub of multi-family style living with the anticipation of the light rail corridor. A prime location with access to bike paths, downtown, shopping centers, and now major transit, the development provides housing to people of diverse income levels.
In 2018, the developer and property manager opened their first building in the neighborhood, Parkway 25. In 2020, Parkway Residences was approved as a large-scaled PUD (Planned Unit Development). The projects are phased, some reaching completion this year and the others starting subsequently. The variety of property types allows each building to emphasize specific aspects, from near net zero energy efficiency, to luxury living, to naturally occurring affordable housing. However, all new buildings reflect a similar exterior palette of materials within their own form and geometries.
Public Art Opportunity
Parkway Residences views this public art commission as a positive addition to the neighborhood and intends for the artwork to reflect their commitment to the surrounding St. Louis Park community. There is opportunity for the selected artist/team to incorporate the public artwork within landscape planning and/or propose seating features and other interactive elements. The end result should add an interesting and engaging visual to the building complex and create an inviting experience for tenants and visitors.
As a central point of pedestrian access in the neighborhood, the placement of the public art work will be at the entrance of one of the new buildings, Parkway Place. The pedestrian-oriented design of the building provides walk-up units which connect to the sidewalks along the street and to the new mid-block path between buildings. Inside the main lobby, the interior elements emphasize sculptural movement with a grand staircase, paired with elegant wood tones and brass accents. The resident experience is always first priority by focusing on the attention to detail throughout the interior and exterior of each building.
Additional Project Site Details
The budget for the project is $60,000. This do-not-exceed amount must include all design fees, materials, transportation, installation, storage, insurance, and any other costs associated with the project. Total expenses cannot exceed this amount.
Selection Process Overview
The Selection Committee will select 3 artists or teams to participate in a Zoom interview and present a design concept. Each artist/team will be paid a $300 stipend to prepare design concepts. Deliverables include graphic sketches of the proposed design concept and a budget breakdown. Artists/teams have approx 4 weeks to prepare preliminary concepts, including the presentations for Phase 2.
Phase 1 | Selection of artist/s will be based on the following criteria:
- Letter of interest and proposed approach to the project.
- Relevance of work samples.
Phase 2 | Selection of final artist will be based on the following:
- Concepts are engaging and evoke curiosity of passers-by either through color, material, innovation, or other considerations.
- Artworks consider the specificity of location.
- Artworks consider all seasons in MN, are safe and low maintenance, and consider lighting.
- Artwork is high impact and conveys artistic excellence.
- Art is welcoming, accessible and appropriate to the site.
- Artworks should not include figures or depictions of people.
- Concept is feasible within timeline and budget.
NOTE: More details about the site will be made available to the artist selected for the design concept phase.
Applicants must be experienced visual artists or artist-led teams residing in the state of Minnesota. Applicant or Applicant Team must demonstrate ability to execute a public art project of this scale and budget.
We are committed to providing opportunities to people regardless of economic or social status and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical ability.
- March 28, 2022: RFQ announced
- May 6, 2022: Deadline for RFQ submission
- May 20, 2022: Semi-Finalists Notified
- Week of June 20, 2022: Zoom presentations to Selection Committee
- Late June: Selected artist contracted for full project.
- September 2022: Project installation
Submission Materials (in digital format only)
Please provide the following text in 12-point font, in a single PDF document:
- Contact information for lead artist and, if applicable, all team members.
- One-page letter describing interest in the project and approach to design and public art projects.
- Work Samples: Up to 8 digital images of recent and relevant projects. Individuals and teams are limited to 8 images maximum. Save all images as standard JPEG and label each with applicant’s name and number corresponding with list of work samples.
- One-page list of work samples including title, budget, location, materials.
NOTE: Do not submit a proposal for artworks at this time.
Submit any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2022.
Submit RFQ materials via email to:
- Tricia Heuring, Forecast Public Art / email@example.com
- Include subject line: “Parkway Residences RFQ Submission.”
- All materials must be received by 4pm on May 6, 2022.
- A confirmation email will be sent to applicants once materials are received. No RFQs will be accepted after this time.