Priority will be given to those who apply by January 2, 2023
Forecast Public Art seeks an artist with connections to Saint Paul’s North End/Frogtown neighborhoods/Rice Street to join our Rice Street Artist Team.
Call Open: November 30, 2022 – early January, 2023
Compensations: $10,000 artist fee + access to artist group funds for engagement activities/materials
You will do deep community engagement work for the Rice Street Visioning Study, a Ramsey County funded initiative for the redevelopment of the Rice Street corridor between Pennsylvania Avenue and Wheelock Parkway.
These are temporary part-time independent contractor positions. Priority will be given to those who apply by January 2, 2023. Interviews will take place in early January with an ideal start date in mid-January 2023. Your appointment would continue through fall of 2024.
Selected artists will
- Work within a four-person Artist Engagement Team, with Forecast and other organizations hired by Ramsey County to host 6 pop-up events and participate in 4 open houses. Together the team will build relationships with neighborhood residents, local businesses and organizations who care about the future of Rice Street to ensure awareness of the upcoming construction work and provide opportunities for feedback and Q & A’s.
- Develop and use arts-based tools to find out more about neighborhood residents’ opinions, hopes, and dreams for Rice Street.
- Make recommendations to team and county regarding community supported changes to be made.
- Each member of the team will be paid a total of $10,000 in eight quarterly payments over the life of the project.
- Artists will also receive mentoring and support to grow their artistic practice in community and as a group have access to $8000 in funds to use for their engagement activities/materials.
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to the nature of this project much of the work will take place on evenings, weekends, and during summer months.
Desired Assets, Skills, and Abilities
Selected artists should have
- Familiarity with the Rice Street Corridor including time spent living and/or working in the North End and/or Frogtown neighborhoods.
- Experience designing arts-based activities for community engagement. This may include experience in a variety of mediums including organizing, social practice, drawing/painting, photography, writing, etc.
- Comfort representing the project team in meetings and community events.
- Comfort using computers including: Social Media, email, web browsers, and word processing software.
Artists with experience in and connections to multiple language communities – including immigrant and refugee communities present in the neighborhoods, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Fill out our online Application Form
You will need a Submittable account to apply; these are free to create.