In the midst of this rapidly changing and unpredictable health and economic environment, Forecast continues to do what we do best — provide caring, experienced support to artists, institutions and communities who seek to bring creativity, hope, healing, joy, identity and much more to public spaces across the country.
During this challenging time we reallocated resources where they were most needed.
- When the pandemic hit, we put our time immediately toward launching pro bono public art consulting and spent over 300 hours talking with more than 150 artists and leaders nationally in nearly 50 cities across the country as well as Puerto Rico. Artists told us they needed new support, so we responded with our first mini-grant program to help 30 artists spread messages of hope during the stay-at-home orders.
- When the murder of George Floyd devastated our community in Minneapolis, we paused and we listened, following the lead of Black-led efforts and artists in our community and encouraging donors to give to Black-led organizations and movements.
- And when we heard from cities that programs serving artists were on the chopping block, we got busy and developed a new digital publication to advocate for getting creatives back to work. While 94% of artists have lost income and 63% became fully unemployed, this publication aims to show decision-makers how artists are critical partners in addressing the more pressing issues in America from public health to public safety to the fate of our climate.
Forecast’s work is not done. Your support now will help us launch major new initiatives to address racial justice, barriers to access for BIPOC artists and communities, and systemic inequities in public art.
We are committed to being part of creative solutions that drive more equitable outcomes as we lean into our mission to activate, inspire and advocate for public art that advances justice, health and human dignity.
With your help we will:
- Launch our new Change Lab in 2021 with our first-ever fellowship for racial justice in public art. In the Lab, Forecast will catalyze new thinking, test new approaches, and creatively disrupt the status quo to advance justice in the field of public art.
- Expand our pro bono consulting nationally to provide support in the communities that need it the most: Black, Brown, Indigenous and rural communities. The ability to pay for consulting should not be a barrier for communities to realize their public art dreams.
- Kick off our nationwide listening tour engaging communities of color across every region in conversations that reimagine public art and monuments to reflect hidden stories, visions, cultures and perspectives. This work will support the development of a national public art policy platform that will push for long-term change rooted in justice, health and human dignity.
2300 MYRTLE AVENUE | SUITE 160
ST. PAUL, MN 55114
Connect with Forecast
Sign up for our Public Art Update to receive monthly insights on what's happening at Forecast and in the fields of public art and placemaking.
Interested in advertising in Public Art Review? Learn how.© COPYRIGHT 2020 - FORECAST PUBLIC ART